DentalWriter Forum

Your central resource for DentalWriter posts, blogs, training resources, faq's, and more.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 8:18:22 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
First, I apologize that this is in the dental cross-coding section--I couldn't figure out how to create a new topic in the sleep apnea category.

I have a patient who completed a HST through our office and was diagnosed with OSA. I sent a letter--along with a copy of the HST results and an affidavit of intolerance to CPAP--to the patient's PCPto ask that he sign the E0486 prescription. However, that doctor is unwilling to sign the prescription since he did not order the sleep study (I've never had a physician refuse to sign the prescription for this reason--I don't really understand.) I did then reach out to the patient's neurologist to see if by chance he'd be able to sign the RX but he referred back to the PCP.

I know dentists must have a prescription/statement of medical necessity for the oral appliance...but I wasn't sure if this is just required for reimbursement purposes. E.g. Could we give the patient the option to still get the oral appliance from our dentist with the understanding that since it is not physician-ordered, insurance will not pay? (If so, can/should we still submit the claim to medical insurance with the EY modifier?)

Or, can we not make an oral appliance at all--regardless of reimbursement--since we do not have a prescription? In that case, we'll recommend the patient return to his PCP to request an in-lab test so that when those results come back, the PCP will hopefully then sign the oral appliance prescription...I am just unsure if the patient will be willing to go through that trouble and complete an in-lab study--and we'd hate for this to go untreated because of a signature on a piece of paper.

Thank you in advance for any insight!

courtneydsnow
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 8:34:54 AM(UTC)
courtneydsnow

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Hi Guest!

All great questions. So first off - no not all medical insurers currently require a prescription from a physician for custom made oral appliance for OSA - although many these days do (i.e. Medicare, Aetna, most BCBS's, etc). Also, it is a recommendation of the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM). Also side note - most medical insurers will accept the Rx from an MD, DO, PA, NP or CNS working within their scope of practice.

And yes absolutely, the patient always has the option to be cash pay and not file insurance. But keep in mind, if you do the appliance without a physician order on file (insurance or not) and attempt to manage the OSA on your own from there, that does add a lot of liability that the dentist may not be properly trained in. But yes, EY is the proper modifier to use as the description of the modifier is "EY - No physician or other licensed health care provider order for this item or service".

As far as that sleep study - although it may not be extremely common for a primary care physician to want to be the one to order the study, it does not surprise me at all. In fact, some medical insurers do require that the patient have a face to face evaluation with a physician prior to getting the sleep study (i.e. Medicare), so the physician has to been the one to order it order for the study to be covered, and in turn any therapy recommended/prescribed from there would run the risk on non-coverage if the means of diagnosis was considered non-covered as well. The physician may very well want to make sure that there aren't other symptoms/conditions present that need to be addressed along with the oral appliance therapy (or whatever therapy the physician deems appropriate for the patient) - i.e. restless legs/plm's, hypertension, mood disorders, central apneas etc etc etc etc...... he/she is probably not trying to be difficult, just trying to following recommended guidelines it sounds like :)
(Also if you make sure to keep that physician flowing with referral for evaluations for sleep patients, you will likely see referrals back for patient's who are appropriate for OAT! Or if you don't - schedule a call/lunch with the doc to introduce yourself......)

And the good news on that sleep study - if you do refer the patient back to the PCP to get an eval for a sleep study - the patient may very well qualify for a home sleep study! (depending on the insurance and the patient's condition). Many insurers do offer coverage for home studies as long as the patient does not have certain conditions that may degrade the accuracy of a home sleep test (COPD, PLM's, etc).

Hope this helps!

#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 9:46:01 AM(UTC)

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Thank you for responding so quickly!! That definitely helps! I've done multiple webinars/trainings or have read about dentists having to get the prescription signed, but it never explained (at least clearly) that that requirement was dependent on the insurance company. I certainly understand the liability concerns as well. I appreciate all of the information you provided! Have a great day!
 1 user thanked Guest for this useful post.
courtneydsnow on 3/15/2018(UTC)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply
New Topic Post Reply